Wednesday, November 09, 2016

The people are pissed off and Trump wins

I am politically independent with a libertarian bias, so I did not have a dog in this fight, as I have said first two months ago and repeated it lately somewhat sarcastically. Both major candidates were badly flawed and that's about the only thing that most Americans truly agreed on according to the polls.

But, as I have said in my last post, I was hoping Hillary would win, though I was not absolutely sure. She was a safer candidate, more predictable, more mature.

As someone who leans libertarian, I find Trump scary. I hope he will not do much damage to this country, but people who think that Putin, an authoritarian that has been in power for over 16 years either as the Russian president or prime minister, is a cool dude, are either confused or dangerous. And what's worse, not only Trump thinks so, but so do his supporters (see the image below).

Americans have no experience with authoritarians, but Europeans do. Since I was born and raised in a European country that for many decades was under communist rule, I may have more appreciation for civil liberties than those who have been taking them for granted for over two centuries.

America, this beacon of liberty, has elected for President the man who finds Putin worthy of praise and perhaps emulation. I am afraid "that's not going to be good for anybody."


But he may as well turn out to be a good president. Let's hope so. And I wish him success.

Democrats have no one to blame for this but themselves. Just as they were blaming Ralph Nader for the Bush's victory in 2000, now they are trying to blame Jill Stein for that (see the tweet below). They seem to persist in denial. That's not very inspiring, to say the least.
As I said in my last post, the markets, e-mini futures first, would tank if Trump were to win, which they did during the election night, though may stage a rebound during the day.